> Sounds plausible, except SPV protocols would need to include this
coinbase txn if it's going to help SPV clients.

Yes you'd either need a way to add those transactions to the bloom filter,
or add/modify a p2p message to request it specifically.

> when you mention Sybil attack, I don't quite follow.

I just mean that someone could spin up a bunch of malicious p2p nodes that
lied about mempool data. It's a bit worse for SPV clients since they can't
verify that unconfirmed transactions are valid.

> I had previously believed fees were fairly static presently,

I actually just added it the other day after getting blockcypher to include
it in their api. The current release is still using a hard coded fee rate.

Aaron Voisine
co-founder and CEO
breadwallet.com