Peter it's not clear to me that your described protocol is free of miner
influence over the vote, by artificially generating transactions which they
claim in their own blocks, or conforming incentives among voters by opting
to be with the (slight) majority in order to minimize fees.

Wouldn't it in fact be simpler to use the dynamic block size adjustment
algorithm presented to the list a few weeks back, where the miner opts for
a larger block by sacrificing fees? In that way the users "vote" for larger
blocks by including sufficient fees to offset subsidy, but as it is an
economic incentives miners gain nothing by inflating the fees in their own
blocks.