On 2015-06-18 14:53, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Consensus changes - worded another way - change Bitcoin's Constitution
> -
> The Rules that everyone in the system is -forced- to follow, or be
> ignored
> by the system.

Force is not a helpful or accurate way to describe the situation.

The purpose of Bitcoin to let people trade with each other, and trade
requires mutual agreement.

If some people choose not to trade under certain terms, they aren't
"forcing" anybody to do anything. They are simply refraining from
proposed interactions. Not granting them the right to do this would
actually be forcing them to engage in interactions against their will.

It's an unavoidable reality that Bitcoin's usefulness is related to the
size (really: economic output) of the group of people who can be
convinced that it's in their best interest to agree on a common trade
protocol.

Conversations that feature untrue claims about someone forcing someone
else to do something is the opposite of a viable strategy for growing
the size of that group.

Arguments about who violated what Bitcoin Core internal governance
procedures are not interesting to most Bitcoin users, who generally
don't know or care who has commit access to the repository.

Getting angry at Gavin and Mike for providing Bitcoin users with an
alternative which they can freely choose or reject is not helpful in
persuading users to stay with Bitcoin Core. Making the case why the
changes in Bitcoin XT are not beneficial to Bitcoin users could be.

For better or for worse, Bitcoin coin users are going to run the
software they perceive to be in their best interests.  Nobody can stop
them from making that choice and any effort directed at that end is
wasted.

It's more productive to expend effort making sure the current and future
Bitcoin users are as informed as possible about the long term and short
term consequences of their choices.

Circling back to the original quote:

On 2015-06-18 14:53, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Consensus changes - worded another way - change Bitcoin's Constitution
> -
> The Rules that everyone in the system is -forced- to follow, or be
> ignored
> by the system.

Bitcoin does not and can not function as a set of rules imposed by some
people onto other people. Bitcoin is a negotiation about the best way
for money to function in the future. The only way we get people to use
Bitcoin is to convince them that the benefits they gain from agreeing to
its protocol outweigh the downsides they encounter.

I'm confident that this case can be made successfully but a prerequisite
to a successful negotiation is recognizing that it is, in fact, a
negotiation, and that the other parties have full agency and the right
to walk away if mutual agreement is not reached.

My suggestion is to spend less time talking about procedural violations
and more time convincing Bitcoin users that Bitcoin Core is the best
client for them to use, especially if the process of convincing them
involves making improvements which the users are asking for (or making a
very compelling case about why the users should reconsider).