On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wui...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 1:14 PM, Wladimir J. van der Laan <
> laa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Like in any open source project there is lots of decision making ability
>> for code changes. I'd say look at the changelog for e.g. 0.11
>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.11/doc/release-notes.md#0110-change-log,
>> or follow pull requests for a while, to see how many decisions about
>> changes are made from day to day. No, I'm not sitting on my hands, and so
>> is none of the other contributors that you'd like to get rid of.
>>

> The analogy goes further even. Even though I disagree with some of the
> changes you're making, I respect Mike's (and anyone's) right to make a fork
> of Bitcoin Core. That's how open source works: if people disagree with
> changes made or not made, they can maintain their own version. However:
>

>> Consensus changes are *much* more difficult, on the other hand. Even
>> relatively straightforward softforks come with a long discussion process
>> (see BIP62, BIP66). A hardfork is hard to do at the best of times (everyone
>> needs to upgrade their software!), and simply not possible if almost the
>> entire technical community disagrees with you.
>>

> Consensus changes - in particular hardforks - are not about making a
> change to the software. You are effectively asking users of the system to
> migrate to a new system. Perhaps one which is a philosophical successor to
> the old one, but a different system, with new rules that are incompatible
> with the old one.

Indeed.  I think Mike is glossing over this major facet.

Consensus changes - worded another way - change Bitcoin's Constitution -
The Rules that everyone in the system is -forced- to follow, or be ignored
by the system.

Changing bitcoin's rules IS IN NO WAY like Wikipedia or other open source
software.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist