Is that a forward-looking position?  It does not seem so.

The whole point is getting out in front of the need, to prevent significant
negative impact to users when blocks are consistently full.

To do that, you need to (a) plan forward, in order to (b) set a hard fork
date in the future.

"We don't see a need today" is therefore useless, because when you do reach
X day when need is apparent, the best solution then becomes an immediate
fork for which the network and markets are not prepared.

Failing to resolve the block size issue soon will simply result in most
businesses assuming relevant Bitcoin Core standards process is failing, and
proceed with the Bitcoin-XT fork.

As I've said on IRC, the "do nothing, for now" position is untenable.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist