On Thursday, 3 August 2017 04:10:13 UTC+2, Dennis Fantoni wrote:

> i tried to use wallet-tool  dump --dumpprivkeys --password=spendingpin
>
> but the resulting text file does not seem to have anything that i could
> identify as something that could be used with importprivkey in a core
> wallet.

My preliminary results indicate that if you specify --password=spendingpin
then there will be no private keys in the output even if the spendingpin is
correct.
However, if i create a new backup from bitcoin wallet where i have removed
the spending pin  and then use wallet-tool dump --dumpprivkeys without the
--password= command, then the private keys show up.