On 09/29/2017 09:39 PM, quantumed...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 9:23:10 AM UTC-5, Jameson Lopp wrote:
>
>     The PR in question: https://github.com/bitcoinj/bitcoinj/pull/1408
>     <https://github.com/bitcoinj/bitcoinj/pull/1408>
>
>     Probably worth noting that Andreas is employed by
>     Bloq...
> http://bloq.com/bloq-expands-team-and-announces-board-of-advisors.html
>
> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbloq.com%2Fbloq-expands-team-and-announces-board-of-advisors.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH1H-dZbuuvTnuQaUjCf60fvaEv-w>
>
>     Regarding the privacy issue: perhaps, though there's no guarantee
>     that other seed nodes aren't also keeping some sort of information
>     for analytics. If you really care about network privacy then your
>     BitcoinJ apps should only be connecting to full nodes that you (or
>     your users) control.
>
>     I suspect the answer regarding SegWit2X is that from BitcoinJ's
>     point of view it will follow whatever chain has the most cumulative
>     proof of work and isn't concerned about replay protection issues.
>     Thus BitcoinJ would want to be as well-connected as possible.
>
>     On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 4:59 AM, <quantu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         I was recently made aware on Twitter than Bitcoinj updated its
>         DNS seed node list to include Jeff Garzik's and Bloq's nodes. I
>         would like to know why these were added, and why other 2x seed
>         nodes were not. This bothers me both because of the(though a
>         leap to a degree) concerns over Bloq's investment in Skry and
>         acquiring its analytics software and techniques, and the fact
>         that these seed nodes are running BTC1.
>
>         This creates two problems in my mind. 1) It opens up all users
>         of wallets basing off your version of Bitcoinj to be tagged and
>         identified on a network level by a company that has directly
>         invested in chain analytics company. This is a huge privacy risk
>         for users. It also opens up the potential to be compromised in
>         terms of the Bitcoin network as well as the seed nodes would
>         decide what nodes to pass the new wallet off to.
>
>         Which leads me to my next issue. These new seed nodes operating
>         BTC1 creates a huge systemic risk for users in the event the NY
>         Agreement is fulfilled and there is a fork in November. These
>         new DNS seed additions could be guaranteeing wallets are
>         connected to both network post-fork and cause
>         unpredicted/detrimental behavior for users.
>
>         I would ask that these additions be removed, and would like to
>         know why they were added in the first place, as they introduce
>         two different risk surfaces for your userbase that would not
>         exist without them.
>
>         Thank you for taking the time to read my concerns.
>
>         --
>

> Well I would like to hear the rationale from the Bitcoinj developers,
> who still have not responded. But, despite being a leap as I said
> myself, I think the issue of privacy is more pressing comparing a
> company with analytics investments nodes versus developers personal seed
> [...]

Jameson has contributed to bitcoinj so he is a bitcoinj developer.

I added Bloqs seed when I didn't know about other seeds to add. Like
Jameson said, the rationale is diversity of connected peers. PR welcome
if you want the other seeds to be added as well.

If you're concerned about privacy the low hanging fruit is implementing
the handling of addr messages and persisting the list of known peers.
Then seeds are not necessary any more after the first bootstrap. PR welcome.

You can switch bitcoinj to full verifying mode in which case it will try
to validate transactions. However, be prepared there will be some diff
between bitcoinj and Bitcoin Core so you will need to work on that (or
with that).