If you look at the logfile (or console output) you should see what
bitcoinj is doing in this time. Most likely it is updating the block
chain, although 2-3 minutes sounds a bit long -- it once it has synched
the chain it should catch up very quickly. Maybe there are connection
problems too?

Be warned that bitcoinj (and the Wallet class in particular) is not
designed for centralized usage like with trading platforms.