Hi Stephanie,

I have had a ewe break a hind leg and lamb successfully.  Not only did she
lamb large twins but her leg eventually healed.  Now her broken leg sounds
similar but may have been very different from your ewe.  I suspect my ewe
broke her leg from jumping off a four foot drop off while heavily pregnant.

What I did was just made sure she was getting all the food and water she
needed since she could not compete with any of the other ewes.  I also kept
an eye out for infection.  I never used anti-biotic or Banamine but I
certaintly was expecting to need it!  My ewe could hardly move and it was
painful to watch.  I kept expecting the worse, but she lambed, raised her
babies and eventually healed.  I would have a hard time picking her out of
the flock today.  I'm sure she has lambed again since she broke her leg.

My opinion is if she is trying to live (she does get up now and then & is
eating and drinking - give her a chance).  If she lies down (especially on
her side) and just stares she is giving up.  At this point consider putting
her down.  I have had a C-section done on a ewe successfully.  The cost was
more than the cost of buying a new ewe.  It also meant treating the incision
for over a month to fight off infection.  If the lambs are not totally to
term their survival rate is not going to be good.

If the ewe is giving up but you are not...  Make sure she is laying up
right.  Make sure she is eating and drinking.  You may have to drench her
with propylene glycol and water to keep her going.  Occasionally help her to
her feet and make her walk around (she needs movement).

I'm praying for you!

Mark