From: "R. Natasha Baronas" <meadowskuv...@gmail.com>
To: "blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info"
<blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Prolapse
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 20:40:05 -0700

Today my sheep friend came by again to take a look at my girls, hear my
concerns, and allay my fears.  Here's the poop:

The Katahdin sheep are not ready to go yet by looking at their udders - they
have a way to go. The ewe who is prolapsing mildly appears to have multiples by
their estimation.  I thought she meant twins...no, triplets.  She does see this
with her ewes who have triplets.  I need to keep an eye on it and make sure it
doesn't get worse, make sure she walks around a bit more.  She developed a lump
on her udder - it felt like a testicle of all things.  Her udder is not hot, it
may be a gland?  She wasn't worried about it.  They noticed that my ewes seemed
to look a bit bloated and recommended offering baking soda to them, as much as
they like, to reduce the gas.  I am graining but they thought they looked too
full for the amount I am giving.  Incidentally, since they have offered it to
their goats the milk tastes better and the milk fat concentration has
increased.  They also recommended offering molasses.

This is what has worked for them.  I don't need to call a vet but just keep a
careful eye on my girlies.  I can't imagine them getting any bigger but if they
have too much gas from the grain maybe that's why they look so big?  Have any
of you heard of the baking soda?  What were the results?  Can I overdo the dry
molasses?

Thanks for listening and sharing :)

Natasha

Sent from my iPad