Hi Michael,

Having the "right" llama or donkey can be very helpful.  Unfortunately
getting the "right" animal is not automatic.  We have had three llamas.  The
mature female wanted to kill the baby lambs.  The mature male just adored
the baby lambs but ignored them when they reached weaning age.  The third
llama we still have is a leader but I have never seen her show much if any
protective behavior.  For sure there is no more alert or coordinated
creature alive than a llama.  Those long ears and big eyes can pick out
anything!  It is like radar and laser beams!  We have two female donkeys as
well.  We have to remove them from the birthing ewes because they want to
raise the lambs as their babies.  So when the lambs start coming we kick the
llama and the donkeys out to the perimeter fields.  The donkeys might be of
some defense if the canine is not very big.  We have several Great Pyrenees
cross livestock guardian dogs.  The donkeys are intimidated by them and have
agreed to just stay away from those big dogs.

The dogs are easily the best defense we have to predators.  We have one that
believes the best defense is a strong offense and he runs the perimeter
through the night.  He is totally scarred up at 1.5 years old.  We have
another dog that believes the best offense is a good defense and stays with
the sheep through the night.  Both of those dogs sleep with the sheep
throughout the day. We have ewes that have sought the dogs out to give birth
to their lambs next to them.  The dogs observe but do not mess with the
lambs.  We also have ewes that do not like the dogs and will stomp their
foot or hit the dogs.  The dogs do not retaliate but lay there and be
submissive.

My livestock guardian dogs are bigger than a coyote and can go under,
through, or over any fence.  I have electric fence running at 18000 volts
and my dogs know how to get to the other side.  If my fence is porous to my
dogs it is porous to coyote.  I have seen my dogs go through field fence.  I
just knew they were going to get stuck.  And my dogs just knew they would
not get stuck.

I do not think I will ever be predator proof on my farm.  But the predators
know that there is risk involved in preying on my farm.  Predators do not
have health insurance and prefer to avoid potential injuries.

Good luck on your farm,

Mark Wintermute

"The other question, can people with a single burro or llama actually claim
they have never sustained an attack after getting the larger animal?"

-MIchael, Perino Ranch Blackbellies

Sent from my iPad