Well, I'm no X programmer, but what about brute-forcing it?  Let bsetroot
do whatever it wants to the root window, then capture that window as a
pixmap and save/set it in the same manner Esetroot does?  What does good
ol' xsetroot do?

Doesn't there have to be a bitmap SOMEWHERE in the X server?  If I set a
gradient, it's not like the video hardware is doing that on it's own,
because I can overlay it with a window and when I move the window, the
background is restored.

--
Marc Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]