On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:15:19 -0400
Matt Rowley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Maybe this is a foolishly stupid question, but could someone explain
> the difference between .xinitrc and .xsession?  If one file is found,
> is the other not executed?  Is it best to have both and should they
> have the same contents?
> Of course, a pointer to the right FM to R would also be apprecited.  I
> can't find a good description in the man pages on either OpenBSD or
> FreeBSD.
> Sorry if this is a silly-basic question... just trying to understand
> the point to these two files...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Hey Matt,

The following is from startx(1) on a Debian system:

"Note that in the Debian system, what many people traditionally put in
the .xinitrc file should go in .xsession instead; this permits the same
X environment to be presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to
start the X session. All discussion of the .xinitrc file in the xinit(1)
manual page applies equally well to .xsession.  Keep in mind that
.xinitrc is used only by xinit(1) and completely ignored by xdm(1)."

I can't speak for other distributions however.  Typically I only use
.xsession (actually my .xinitrc is a link to .xsession) as on debian it
is honored by both XDM and startx.

Tim.