#3334: gstreamer dependency problem
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  pierre.labastie  |       Owner:  blfs-book@…                   
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new                           
 Priority:  normal           |   Milestone:  current                       
Component:  BOOK             |     Version:  SVN                           
 Severity:  normal           |    Keywords:                                
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment(by pierre.labastie):

 Replying to [comment:2 Krejzi]:
 > While gobject-introspection is not a big dep to anything that requires
 glib, I am against making it recommended for gstreamer packages. Why? It's
 gnome which requires gobject-introspection, but it's not just gnome which
 uses gstreamer. There is KDE's phonon (gstreamer backend) which uses it as
 well, but does not need gobject-introspection for anything. Most people
 will install recommended dependencies, so will your scripts, but g-i is
 not always necesary for gstreamer. There is a note at gstreamer and
 gstreamer base plugins page about gobject-introspection and I think it is
 enough.

 My point was that since pango is required for gstreamer base plugins and
 g-i is '''recommended''' for pango, g-i is ''de facto'' '''recommended'''
 for gstreamer plugins (and so for gstreamer), but could have been built
 after gstreamer, which makes the plugins build fail. Of course, if you
 build gnome, you do not have that problem, because as Ken said, g-i would
 be built much earlier. But in the case of KDE, I think people building it
 for the first time would end doing what I do.

 Of course, another solution would be to put g-i as just an optional dep
 for pango...

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/3334#comment:4>
BLFS Trac <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs>
Beyond Linux From Scratch
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-book
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to