#3334: gstreamer dependency problem
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  pierre.labastie  |       Owner:  blfs-book@…                   
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new                           
 Priority:  normal           |   Milestone:  current                       
Component:  BOOK             |     Version:  SVN                           
 Severity:  normal           |    Keywords:                                
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Comment(by rt):

 Replying to [comment:3 pierre.labastie]:
 > Replying to [comment:1 ken@…]:
 > > An interesting analysis.  But you make it sound as if you are building
 gstreamer without any other packages ?  My current belief, perhaps
 mistaken, is that gstreamer is only really usable by gnome-ish packages.
 Since gstreamer isn't particularly necessary until you have applications
 which can use it (e.g. webkit-gtk) and is not useful until there are
 applications which can use the plugins (e.g. epiphany-extensions, totem,
 and probably some other gnome packages), I had assumed that people would
 build the gnome gtk3 deps (gobject-introspection before atk, gdk-pixbuf,
 pango, gtk3) a long time before they tried to build gstreamer.
 >
 > Well, the book proposes to build phonon-backends-gstreamer as a base
 package for KDE (I am in the process of testing KDE build "from scratch",
 I'll do that for GNOME when 3.4 is finished. At least ablfs is a great
 tool to find dependencies mismatches). I guess phonon (which is for KDE)
 needs backends, and that gstreamer is a natural backend for it. So, with
 the book "as is":  gstreamer is '''also''' usable by '''non'''-gnome-ish
 packages. Now, on my Debian host, I have only phonon-backend-vlc, so maybe
 VLC is enough for KDE. Phonon-backend-gstreamer could then be moved to the
 chapter "KDE additional packages". Any thought from "KDE" people?

 Well, neither phonon backends are "required" (as in compile-time req.) for
 KDE, but if you want any multimedia capabilites at all you need one of
 them.
 I think the idea of moving the gstreamer-backend to additional KDE
 packages is unfortunate, as it would signal that the backend remaining in
 the core section (vlc-backend) is the recommended and better alternative.
 This is simply not true, as both backends are of equal functionality (one
 of them might work better on certain hardware and vice versa) and the
 reader should be able to choose a backend in an unbiased way.
 Anyways, this would be a dirty fix, because if other non-gnome packages
 depend on gstreamer (I haven't checked), the problem would remain.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/3334#comment:5>
BLFS Trac <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs>
Beyond Linux From Scratch
-- 
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-book
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page

Reply via email to