On 4/20/05, Bruce Dubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nathan Coulson wrote:
> > On 4/19/05, Bruce Dubbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > The netfs bootscript is actually where remote filesystems are
> > mounted... I believe it is in Chapter 4 , Configuring for Network
> > Filesystems.
> >
> > It just mounts all mounts with the _netfs option. [samba, nfs, e.t.c]
>
> OK, thanks. When I started looking at this, I wasn't aware of the
> _netfs parameter. I note that RH has:
>
> NFSFSTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "nfs" && $4 !~ /noauto/ { print
> $2 }' /etc/fstab`
> SMBFSTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "smbfs" && $4 !~ /noauto/ { print
> $2 }' /etc/fstab`
> NCPFSTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "ncpfs" && $4 !~ /noauto/ { print
> $2 }' /etc/fstab`
> NETDEVMTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $4 ~ /_netdev/ && $2 != "/" { print
> $2 }' /proc/mounts`
> NFSMTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "nfs" && $2 != "/" { print $2 }'
> /proc/mounts`
> SMBMTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "smbfs" { print $2 }' /proc/mounts`
> NCPMTAB=`LC_ALL=C awk '!/^#/ && $3 == "ncpfs" { print $2 }' /proc/mounts`
>
> Also, when doing the normal mounts at startup, they add -t nonfs to
> mount. Having to put a _netfs in the fstab options seems to be
> redundant because the user has already said its nfs, etc.
>
> I could go ahead and fix the book's nfs_utils to add _netfs and point to
> Chapter 3, but I think it should be taken care of in the mountfs and
> netfs bootscripts instead.
>
> -- Bruce
if you like... I was hoping to avoid mentioning specific filesystems
in the mountfs bootscript [such as samba, coda, nfs, e.t.c] and when I
found the _netfs flag in man mount, I decided to use it.
=============
Nathan,
This seems like pretty non-standard use to me. It took me a while to
figure it out. I'm sure its something that would suprise others too. Is
there a reason that we need to avoid mentioning specific filesystems in
the scripts?
Here is what I see as a summary of the alternatives:
1. Train all users that use remote filesystems to put a _netdev
option in fstab for all network mounted partitions.
2. Change the mountfs script to say:
mount -a -t nonfs,ncp,smb -O no_netdev
and change the netfs script basically to say:
mount -a -t nfs
mount -a -t ncp
mount -a -t smb
mount -a -O _netdev
Before we make changes, I would like to get other opinions.
-- Bruce
--
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page