Dear List,
Randy McMurchy wrote:
(thread moved from BLFS-Book, to this [the correct] list)
Sorry - a thinko. I meant to put it in blfs-dev -
my fingers clearly disobeyed me!
My original posting as a whole is alarmingly
well down to my usual standard. I did clear
out some blunders before sending, but that
doesn't excuse those that remain.
[Aspell]
I seem to have got very confused here - I'll look
again, to convince myself that it's just me.
[w3m is in Debian 'unstable', so there!]
Not merely an apology needed, but a grovelling apology.
It didn't work for me the first time, for whatever reason:
I only went looking in 'stable' because 'unstable' seemed
to know nothing of it - but now I find that the original link
works for me too. Of course, the link didn't specify a
version. FWIW, the 'unstable' and 'stable' versions are
different, except for Hurd users.
[Where to get gnome-print-0.37]
Does it really matter to anyone where one gets the package from?
For this solitary package, not much, but surely you expect
your readers to use local mirrors in general? I regard
mirrors which are not reliably updated as good candidates
to disappear - in that sense, the ftp.gnome.org server is
safer to quote. As when you list entirely different sites
as FTP and HTTP sources (often quite unnecessarily, I
find), it makes me wonder.
[Unexpected parameters to xscreensaver]
As is done on *many* packages, some unused parameters to configure
are listed as a convenience to the readers, if the Editor who
placed it there deemed it important enough to add it.
My impression - no more than that - was that optional arguments are
usually given in the sample commands, rather than left out from them.
I'll take that as a misleading impression, then!
What caught brain here was the first option listed:
--with-setuid-hacks: This switch allows some demos to be installed
setuid root which is needed in
rder to ping other hosts.
It was not obvious at all why this went with xscreensaver!
Do I want a demo screen-saver which "pings other hosts"?
Possibly this is to keep the client/server link alive... possibly.
[consolehelper]
Thanks. I think this could be usefully explained in
the Book.
Bernard Leak.
--
Before they made me, they broke the mould.
--
http://linuxfromscratch.org/mailman/listinfo/blfs-dev
FAQ: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html
Unsubscribe: See the above information page