Along with Yelp crashing, it also kept an xmllint process running
that ate up all the CPU resources until I shut down GNOME.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Hmm, I compiled 2.12 just a few days ago and it obviously needs a lot of testing & fixing small issues. I have tried Yelp thou' for a while just to see if the thing works and need to say nothing spectacular happened. I didn't use --enable-man and --enable-info switches; gcc-3.4.4 for reference. Will check it out more thoroughly tonight and update on the topic.

--
David Ciecierski

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs