Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> So we see at least two non-empty camps. One wants a strictly minimal CD, and
> one
> wants packages beyond it. The most "democratic" solution would be to make two
> CDs (and that's, in fact, the origin of the talks about package management),
> but
> we don't have enough developers. You see--packages are like children, one
> cannot
> successfully care about more than 8 of them simultaneously.

I can appreciate this, as well. I'm not fully ready to completely drop
all the hard work that has been done on the current CD. My main impetus
for starting from scratch on a minimal CD is to re-iterate/design the
core concepts of the project, especially if we are going to employ
package management for the build and development process.

After the framework is in place, I would prefer to keep the ability to
drop in as much of the work that has already been done on the top of the
minimal base. Perhaps it could even get to the point that the pre-built
packages could be assembled together into a custom ISO on a per user basis.

--
JH