On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 08:43:21 +0100
DJ Lucas <d...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> After an annoying battle with Gallium, KMS, firmware, etc. on my
> new(ish) system, I think we should probably cover this in the book
> someplace, but I'm not sure how to go about adding it. For starters,
> where does it belong, in Post LFS or in Xorg? I'd be happy to add a
> page, but I'm not at all familiar enough to do so yet.

I think we should add a section about kernel config to one of the xorg
pages, maybe xorg-server? It's xorg-server that needs KMS enabled.

> For instance, I have a card that is identified as an HD 5400 Cedar Pro
> (it was cheap and I have no need for a monster graphics card). After
> building in first one at a time, and then all of the CEDAR_*.bin files,
> I was still greeted with a ~30 second delay on boot up, and no DRI2 each
> time.

Maybe there was a typo in one of the names? No, the kernel make would
barf with a file not found error. Did you use CEDAR_*.bin globing in
your kernel config?

There seem to be 3 CEDAR bin files:
andy@doughnut:~$ ls /lib/firmware/radeon/CE*
/lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_me.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin
/lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin

CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin
radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

> I plan to reduce that list later, but I'm on a Java trip now that Gnome
> is working sufficiently well. Perhaps I've simply lost my Google touch,
> but I'm not convinced that good documentation even exists yet! Anybody
> got a pointer?

Sorry

> Perhaps a link in the xorg configuration will handle it
> until concise documentation can be produced for the book? Maybe it would
> be better to recommend building the vendor DRM driver only as a module,
> and to install all the firmware in /lib/firmware (I haven't actually
> tried this, but I found documentation that said Xorg would tell you the
> needed file in the log if DRM is a module)?

Yes, I think that's the way to go. Install the linux firmware:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=summary
If you put it in /lib/firmware so you don't have to keep copying it
into the kernel source every time you recompile.
Start by compiling the kernel as a module, boot and then:
dmesg | grep radeon
or
dmesg | grep firmware
Then recompile with the firmware compiled into the kernel so you get
KMS, framebuffer, penguins and nice fonts right from the start.

Andy