On 04/15/2012 05:33 AM, Andrew Benton wrote:

> I think we should add a section about kernel config to one of the xorg
> pages, maybe xorg-server? It's xorg-server that needs KMS enabled.

Well, not exactly. The framebuffer console is very nice to work in as
well, and that was the reason for the question. Placement would quite
obviously be limited to the xorg section if not for the FB. If it were
limited to Xorg, the xorg-server page makes more sense to me than the
generic Xorg configuration pages as was done in the past.

 > Maybe there was a typo in one of the names? No, the kernel make would
> barf with a file not found error. Did you use CEDAR_*.bin globing in
> your kernel config?
No, like you said, the build would have stopped. It was exactly as you
have below, that's why I'm still unsure as to why it is working now. The
big thing that bothers me is that I found out about compiling in the
microcode/firmware into the kernel from the Gentoo and Arch wikis, not
from the ATI page at freedesktop.org's wiki.
> There seem to be 3 CEDAR bin files:
> andy@doughnut:~$ ls /lib/firmware/radeon/CE*
> /lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_me.bin
> /lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin
> /lib/firmware/radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin
>
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin
> radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin"
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

> Yes, I think that's the way to go. Install the linux firmware:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=summary
> If you put it in /lib/firmware so you don't have to keep copying it
> into the kernel source every time you recompile.
> Start by compiling the kernel as a module, boot and then:
> dmesg | grep radeon
> or
> dmesg | grep firmware
> Then recompile with the firmware compiled into the kernel so you get
> KMS, framebuffer, penguins and nice fonts right from the start.

Okay, so that has been tested then. I will revisit this a little later
and do the same. Intel and Nvidia users have the same issues, or is this
limited to Radeon devices?

-- DJ Lucas