I just ran into a problem with vlc caused by d-bus.  The latest version
of d-bus does create /var/lib/dbus, but it does not populate it.  vlc
filed with:

process 4644: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid: Failed to open "/etc/machine-id": No such file or
directory

Running dbus-uuidgen --ensure generates /var/lib/dbus/machine-id and
allows vlc to complete properly.

We probably need to add the generation instruction to the book in the
d-bus section.

----

Unrelated to d-bus, vlc complains and aborts if libgcrypt is not
present.  We need to add to the command explanations:

--disable-libgcrypt: Use this switch if you don't have libgcrypt installed.