On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:33:30PM +0200, Armin K. wrote:

> > Are you sure all of these are required? Looking at the list, I install
> > bdftopcf, iceauth, mkfontdir, mkfontscale, xcursorgen, xev, xkbcomp and
> > xprop (8 apps). I have no need for luit, sessreg, setxkbmap, smproxy,
> > x11perf, xauth, xbacklight, xcmsdb, xdpyinfo, xdriinfo, xgamma, xhost,
> > xkbevd, xkbutils, xkill, xlsatoms, xlsclients, xmodmap, xpr, xrandr,
> > xrdb, xrefresh, xset, xsetroot, xvinfo, xwd, xwininfo or xwud. That's
> > 28 apps that are not needed.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> Those are apps as released by upstream and as they always were there
> minus xinput. I planned something else for xinput and some other apps. I
> am sure xauth, luit, setxkbmap, xhost, xset are needed in most
> environments. They are not really big problem to install, do not take
> much space and do not take long to build.

 I drop a different set, e.g. I drop bdftopcf (I don't use the
traditional fonts) and luit (I don't use xterm itself : the book
does, so I think luit is required in the book, depending on what
languages / locales you need - I might be way off base).
Conversely, I use xgamma so that photo prints bear *some*
relationship to how the paper looks - saves me a lot of ink, and on
my latest machines I also use it to reduce the worst colour-tints
from my integrated graphics (must find more time to try my
colorhug).

 But I agree that some apps can be dropped by some people :) Another
difference - I rely on xmodmap to be able to easily type certain
obscure glyphs.  It's all about choice.

 At one time, gentoo had a reasonable explanation of what each app
did in it's wiki.  For many of our users, building xorg is an early
part of the build.  It would be a shame to slim it down so much that
first-time users had to go back and add apps to get a set which covered
their needs.  Those of us who know what we are going to need can
easily drop some of them.

ĸen