On 10/11/2012 03:23 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:

> Just wondering, but do we want to use enable-texture-float by default?
>   The developers were worried about potential patent issues.
>
> Perhaps as an optional flag, pointing at
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/patents.txt?h=8.0 for
> those who choose to enable it.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTMzMg

Most distros have that feature enabled by default. I've pointed out
patent issue ever since I put the instruction there, but it seems no one
reads "Command Explanations"

Command Explanations

--enable-texture-float: This switch enables floating-point textures and
render buffers. Please consult docs/patents.txt to see if there are any
legal issues if you use this feature.

Patents do not pose a problem outside of US and Germany today, even
tough many countries claim to have that law. These are ones that "care
the most".

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/lib/mesa.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=551cb7586d4f3b76a307ce279614a1b918b90e59;hb=HEAD

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/lib/mesa.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=e059404327daa3f94b38ebb492d012ee72b3a873;hb=refs/heads/ubuntu

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mesa

Debian, Ubuntu and Archlinux seem to enable that flag by default and
shipt it, while Gentoo does not even provide a way to enable it by
default in portage.

I don't think that this might be patent infrigment from the user side,
but from the developer side - implementing patented stuff into software
that has not been granted permissions to do so.

Another story was S3TC stuff. I tought about adding an external library
that implements S3 Texture Compression (libtxc_dxtn library) into Mesa
instructions, but I didn't do that.