On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Armin K. <kre...@email.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 03:23 AM, Nathan Coulson wrote:
>>
>> Just wondering, but do we want to use enable-texture-float by default?
>>   The developers were worried about potential patent issues.
>>
>> Perhaps as an optional flag, pointing at
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/patents.txt?h=8.0 for
>> those who choose to enable it.
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTMzMg
>>

> Most distros have that feature enabled by default. I've pointed out
> patent issue ever since I put the instruction there, but it seems no one
> reads "Command Explanations"
>
> Command Explanations
>
> --enable-texture-float: This switch enables floating-point textures and
> render buffers. Please consult docs/patents.txt to see if there are any
> legal issues if you use this feature.
>
> Patents do not pose a problem outside of US and Germany today, even
> tough many countries claim to have that law. These are ones that "care
> the most".
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/lib/mesa.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=551cb7586d4f3b76a307ce279614a1b918b90e59;hb=HEAD
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-xorg/lib/mesa.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=e059404327daa3f94b38ebb492d012ee72b3a873;hb=refs/heads/ubuntu
>
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/mesa
>
> Debian, Ubuntu and Archlinux seem to enable that flag by default and
> shipt it, while Gentoo does not even provide a way to enable it by
> default in portage.
>
> I don't think that this might be patent infrigment from the user side,
> but from the developer side - implementing patented stuff into software
> that has not been granted permissions to do so.
>
> Another story was S3TC stuff. I tought about adding an external library
> that implements S3 Texture Compression (libtxc_dxtn library) into Mesa
> instructions, but I didn't do that.

Apologies, I missed the note explaining the commands (not sure how I
missed it, I was looking for it before I posted).  Works for me.

(Used to seeing possibly patented stuff off by default in BLFS.  such
as libungif [expired], and openssl [looks like it's no longer disabled
by default])

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------