On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 06:35:36PM +0100, Tobias Gasser wrote:
> Am 02.12.2012 11:39, schrieb Armin K.:
> > But, Xfce DOES NOT conflict with GTK+3 apps. GTK+3 CAN BE INSTALLED
> > alongside GTK+2 and there is no conflict in that!
>
> i never tried to have gtk2 and gtk3 on the same sytem. googling a little
> shows you're right. so i'll have to restart from scratch and remove all
> gtk2 packages and update to gtk3.
>
> thanks for shouting, otherwise i possibly would stick with gtk2 until
> xfce supports gtk3.
>
> tobias

 FWIW, I've been using gtk3 with gtk2 since January 2011 - needed it
for epiphany (possibly, for the webkitgtk version packaged by debian)
at that time.  OTOH, in my current build gtk3 is only used for
gvolwheel (there is an older version which uses gtk2) and current
gucharmap.  So in my case, it is possible that I will drop it if I
can find a replacement for gucharmap - that isn't urgent, gucharmap
still works well for me.

 If anybody cares - so far I've only built as far as LibreOffice and
gucharmap, I've still got a load of things to build after I finish
converting all my .abw and .gnumeric files (on an older system), but
I very much doubt that I'll be using gtk3 in the remaining packages.
I've also dropped gtk-doc and gobject-introspection and fixed the
couple of packages which assumed introspection would be present.
Anyone building gnumeric probably *does* still need gtk-doc.

 Summary - build as many versions of gtk+ as you wish (a long while
ago, I built both 1 and 2).

ĸen