I have just completed KDE 4.9.1 and it generally works well.
I am using Beyond Linux® From Scratch - Version 2012-09-25, which I will
update to the latest after I complete this desktop build.   The
configuration went well and  have the sound working.  I have not built
the KDE Additional Packages

There is the following few problems to work out...

DVD drive doesn't show up in /dev, this may be due to the kernel as I am
using the default kernel as I used make defconfig to configure it when I
build LFS 7.2.  I don't know if the kernel configuration is correct, I
will make a custom kernel for this machine after I get the rest of KDE
built.  So I will visit this later.

USB drives also don't show up in the device notifier although usb drives
do show up in /dev and I can mount them using root.  This I would like
to get working but it is not real high on the list of things to get working.

The NetworkManager in this version of the book causes the following
problem when configuring/building Kde-workspace 4.9.1...

-- Sorry, networkmanager-0.7 will not be built since your NetworkManager
version (0.9.6.0) is not currently supported
-- Will build networkmanager_fake-0.9

Anyone know what version of NetworkManager works?
I tried to dig through the cmake files but I have not found where the
version of NetworkManager is tested for.  I did a grep on the source but
it returned too much hay in which to find the needle.  So I did a Google
and it returned

  set(HAVE_NETWORKMANAGER FALSE)
if(NETWORKMANAGER_FOUND)
   if(${NETWORKMANAGER_VERSION} VERSION_GREATER "0.6.9999" AND
      ${NETWORKMANAGER_VERSION} VERSION_LESS "0.8.1001")
     message(STATUS "Will build networkmanager-0.7")
     set(HAVE_NETWORKMANAGER TRUE)
     add_subdirectory(networkmanager-0.7)
   else()
     message(STATUS "Sorry, networkmanager-0.7 will not be built since
your NetworkManager version (${NETWORKMANAGER_VERSION}) is not currently
supported")
     if (${NETWORKMANAGER_VERSION} VERSION_GREATER "0.8.999")
       message(STATUS "Will build networkmanager_fake-0.9")
       set(HAVE_NETWORKMANAGER TRUE)
       add_subdirectory(networkmanager_fake-0.9)
     endif ()
   endif()
endif (NETWORKMANAGER_FOUND)
macro_log_feature(HAVE_NETWORKMANAGER "NetworkManager" "A daemon for
user controlled networking"
"http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager"; FALSE "0.7.0" "Needed for
building Network Management support in Solid. Max version supported is
0.8.10"
So it looks like version > 6.9 and < 8.10 is needed not what is in the book.

KDM crashes and this is my concern.  Currently I am starting KDE from a
user login followed the book on setting up .xinitrc
and then doing a startx, which works well.  Trying to start KDM from
root login on tty1 it tries to start as the screen flashes like xorg is
starting but then something goes south.  I don't have strace built just
yet so I could not attempt that.

Before I get down and dirty looking into KDM crashing does any one have
any pointers or easy things to check?

Thanks