DJ Lucas wrote:
On June 30, 2014 2:42:58 PM CDT, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
wrote:

If there is a use case, then I can easily change my opinion, but
right now the only justification seems to be completeness when
building gcc.

> Silly argument, but strictly for arguments sake, it's the only path
> to build java from source without a pre-existing binary in place. We
> don't address that path in the book, and it is a royal pain to set up
> a proper build environment, but our original binary OJDK 6 was built
> using gcj. All subsequent iterations (including our 7 builds, and
> soon enough 8) have stemmed from that.

Well we start LFS from an existing distro. I suppose we could code in binary and create an assembler, then build a compiler, etc. Sorta the same logic.

We stand on the shoulders of giants. There's no need to go back to the bottom.

  -- Bruce