On 07/20/2014 09:16 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks to Christopher Gregory and his work on integrating GNOME into
> BLFS, I have managed to create a pure systemd branch that is mostly
> derived from his work.
>
> While adding GNOME packages, he also managed to integrate my systemd
> notes into BLFS files and I have reused and polished that work to bring
> the BLFS and LFS systemd a bit closer.
>
> The book is available online at [1]. Some links may not work, namely for
> two patches and blfs-systemd-units because the book isn't yet in a
> standard location.
>
> You can download them from [2]. The same patches are available from the
> lfs patches project and systemd units were just created from the latest
> svn tree.
>
> While I believe I did everything that was necessary to make the packages
> work correctly on top of LFS systemd, there still may be some
> undiscovered problems.
>
> The book was made with assumption that latest LFS systemd (svn version)
> is used. It may work with 7.5-systemd too, but there are some things
> that are different since then, so I would not rely much on it.
>
> I have not tested the following things yet:
>
> sendmail - I don't use this, but have provided an unit combined from
> archlinux and fedora one. I couldn't test it since I have postfix
> installed and sendmail would overwrite it which I don't want.
>
> haveged - I wasn't aware that this package was even part of BLFS. I
> simply added a systemd unit to match the sysv script, but haven't tested it.
>
> firewalling section - I have provided a systemd unit and changed the
> location of the iptables script. It's similar enough to the approach I
> use (/etc/rc.local compatibility), but there's still a chance something
> got wrong.
>
> svn server - I had to made some assumptions about this one since I have
> never set up one. If anyone manages to get it working, I'd like some
> feedback.
>
> I have not completed / got idea about how to deal with following things:
>
> LXDE - It seems that every distro I checked is stuck at old version of
> lxsession and there is no systemd integration patch for systemd/logind
> for the one BLFS is using. If anyone gets it to work, please let me know.
>
> DHCP Client and DHCPCD don't have a section for using client binaries
> anymore. LFS Systemd switched to systemd-networkd and I dropped the
> ifup/ifdown script in favor of networkd itself. DHCP Client and DHCPCD
> were used in conjuction with them. I may need to write/find systemd
> units that can start them if needed.
>
> For the same reason, bridge-utils also lost its entire configuring
> section. systemd-networkd can handle bridge configuration just fine, but
> I lack the knowledge and time to write the instructions for that.
>
> I don't know what are the equivalents for random and netfs sysv script,
> but iirc, systemd should support network file systems out of the box and
> [...]

After some time, I have finally finished reviewing and polishing what
was left, and I'm proud to say that I find the book to be production
ready. The latest snapshot is available at the same location, with
patches not in BLFS svn book available in blfs-systemd-patches
subdirectory of my home directory, while the blfs-systemd-units tarball
is still available from my home directory [2].

This book contains 111 xml pages that were either heavily modified from
trunk/ or newly added ones - and that is without the GNOME section which
now offers full GNOME-3.12.2 Desktop Environment.

We also offer Wayland and Weston packages, as well as their
dependencies. Doing that, we had to modify some packages in the Xorg
section, but they can be modified to omit Wayland just fine.

There were also changes that weren't init system or wayland specific,
but a result of disagreements between maintainers in the past. The
changes include rewritten Qt4 and Qt5 instructions so they can be once
again installed alongside each other in /usr, using qtchooser to
dynamically switch between two installations. The instructions were also
simplified so that only one configure line is there and prefix can be
changed before running it.

Other changes include splitting libva and libvdpau from Xorg section
into their rightful multimedia section, introduction of libva drivers
page, addition of libva-vdpau-driver package, as well as removal of
standalone Glamor package in favor of Xorg Server's internal one.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.