On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 03:27:23PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > And I do not know what a "success" message from vainfo will look
> > like.
>
> $ vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.38.1
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /opt/xorg/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_38
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.38 (libva 1.6.2)
> vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Skylake - 1.6.2
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
>       VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileJPEGBaseline           : VAEntrypointEncPicture
>       VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileVP8Version0_3          : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh      : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileH264StereoHigh         : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>       VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
>       VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
>
> Note: i965_drv_video
>
> $ lspci|grep VGA
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sky Lake Integrated
> Graphics
>
> That's for my workstation.  My Nvidia based development system says:
>
> $ vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.38.1
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /opt/xorg/lib/dri/nouveau_drv_video.so
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
> vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit
>

> Indeed nouveau_drv_video.so does not exist.  I haven't had time to work that
> out.
>
>   -- Bruce

Thanks for looking.  The specific problem is with parole and
gstreamer-vaapi : do you have both of those on your nvidia system,
and if so, does parole work on wmv, mp4, mov or mkv files ?

I've got an nvidia_drv_video.so, but not a nouveau version - it
looks suspiciously like the radeon problem (i.e. it initially
attempts to load a library that nobody has ever seen).

ĸen