On May 11, 2016 6:13 PM, "Ken Moffat" <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 05:03:09PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for looking.  The specific problem is with parole and
> > > gstreamer-vaapi : do you have both of those on your nvidia system,
> > > and if so, does parole work on wmv, mp4, mov or mkv files ?
> >
> > No, I haven't put xfce on the dev syste,
> >
> > > I've got an nvidia_drv_video.so, but not a nouveau version - it
> > > looks suspiciously like the radeon problem (i.e. it initially
> > > attempts to load a library that nobody has ever seen).
> >
> > I only have nouveau_drv.so, not nvidia_drv_video.so.  I do not have
anything
> > like *nvid*.  Could it be a part of the proprietary driver -- just
> > wondering?
> >
> >   -- Bruce
>
> A quick google suggests I was wrong in thinking vaapi works on
> anything other than intel.  Vdpau is supposedly usable on radeon and
> nouveau, but perhaps with an environment variable to point it to the
> right workaround driver, plus the lib to which Douglas pointed.
>
> I can recall trying something from that area in the past, but
> without success.  But I don't remember the details, and at that time
> we were not building gstreamer-vaapi.
>
> My knowledge of the video libs could be written on my little finger.
> All I know for sure is that gstreamer-vaapi broke things for me.

Just as a sort of follow-up (Copied and pasted from phone):

Requirements
------------

Software requirements

  * GStreamer 1.4.x (up to including GStreamer 1.6):
      libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.32)
      libgstreamer1.0-dev (>= 1.4.0)
      libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev (>= 1.4.0)
      libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev (>= 1.4.0)

  * Renderers:
      DRM: libva-dev (>= 1.1.0), libdrm-dev, libudev-dev
      X11: libva-dev (>= 1.0.1)
      GLX: libva-dev (>= 1.0.3)
      Wayland: libva-dev (>= 1.1.0), libwayland-dev (>= 1.0.2)

Hardware requirements

  * AMD platforms with UVD2 (XvBA supported)
  * Intel Eaglelake (G45)
  * Intel Ironlake, Sandybridge, Ivybridge, Haswell and Broadwell (HD
Graphics)
  * Intel BayTrail, Braswell
  * Intel Poulsbo (US15W)
  * Intel Medfield or Cedar Trail
  * NVIDIA platforms with PureVideo (VDPAU supported)

Douglas R. Reno