Today I decided to sort out a few problems with the full BLFS build I'd done a
couple of weeks ago. One thing I noticed is that openldap did not start, while
I never has any problem. After messing around, I found that there is in
# Load dynamic backend modules:
modulepath      /usr/lib/openldap
moduleload      back_mdb.la
# moduleload    back_ldap.la

Since I'd removed the .la files I tried replacing back_mdb.la with
back_mdb.so. Did not work. Then I recompiled openldap and installed the .la
files in /usr/lib/openldap. That worked. So the .la files are needed in the
module directory of openldap.

I'll change the instructions about removing .la files accordingly.