On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 03:32:16PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On 04/15/2018 03:19 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > This is what I now propose to do, to fix the build and to ensure
> > that the DESTDIR gets blown away when the user deletes the source:
> >
> > llvm
> >
> > Add -DLLVM_LINK_LLVM_DYLIB=ON
> >
> > Explanation:
> >
> > This causes tools to be linked to the libLLVM shared library
> > and also ensures that llvm-config will correctly use libLLVM-6.0.so
> >
> > (and add an entity for 6.0 because llvm-config reports that rather
> > than 6.0.0 and we don't want to refer to 6.0 when 7.0.0 arrives in
> > the book)
>
> I'm OK with this, but I note that it didn't fix things for me.

I didn't intend to imply that it did, but it appeared to fix things
for Pierre and has been working for me since I tried to use system
llvm this week.

> > rustc
> >
> > before the build add
> >
> > export RUSTFLAGS="$RUSTFLAGS -C link-args=-lffi"
> >
> > Command explanation:
> >
> > On some systems, linking fails to include libffi unless this is used.
> > The reasons are not clear.
>
> Agreed.  This does fix things for me.

Thanks, your results have been extremely helpful in finding
the problems, even if we don't understand why your builds differ.
And a big thanks also to 'balducci'.

> > Change the DESTDIR install to create and use 'install' in the source
> > directory.  This removes the need to know what the absolute PATH is.
> >
> > DESTDIR=${PWD}/install ./x.py install
> >
> > The real install then becomes:
> >
> > chown -R root:root install
> > cp -a install/* /
> >
> > The reference to DESTDIR in the Estimated disk space can be removed.
> >
> > This makes it a little less of a conventional DESTDIR so perhaps the
> > Note at the top should be reworded slightly to:
> >
> > Unusually, a DESTDIR-style method ...
> > and change
> > Using a DESTDIR method saves 30 SBU
> > This saves 30 SBU
>
> Agreed.  This does make the page cleaner.
>
>   -- Bruce

Thanks, I have a tendency to verbosity as you've probably noticed.

I'm catching up with today's TV at the moment, but I plan to put it
in before I go to bed.

ĸen
--
In my seventh decade astride this planet, and as my own cells degrade,
there are some things I cannot do now: skydiving, marathon running,