On November 18, 2018 1:41:07 AM CST, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev
<blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>On 11/17/2018 11:51 PM, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:

>The only mention of touch in rc is
>
>if [ "$runlevel" == "6" -a -n "${FASTBOOT}" ]; then
>    touch /fastboot
>fi
>
>So that uses the PATH and is only used when rebooting so /usr will be
>available.

Network mounted /usr will not be available at this time.

>We do use /bin/head and /bib/sleep in init-functions, but not tail or
>touch.
>
>We also have $PATH nice in init-functions, but the function that uses
>that [start_daemon()] is not called before /usr is mounted.

Network mounted /usr is the only argument here. See below.

>> /usr/bin/touch should be
>moved
>> as well for SysV (and all four tucked away in the earlier command
>block
>> for FHS compliance with the extra command block and text removed) and
>
>> init-functions and rc should probably have explicit paths supplied to
>be
>> absolutely correct.
>
>rc starts with:
>
>export PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin"
>
>If anything, we should be able to remove /bin from the (single)
>invocation of head.

Ok, I suppose I can go that direction as well. I'd rather not be dependent on
PATH, but I agree that it's cleaner overall and my preferences should take a
back seat to consistency. I rarely use the scripts anymore, though at some
point I plan to again.

You forget that despite being forced to use systemd for the systems that I want
(i.e.: Gnome), I'm not necessarily a fan. I, however, don't particularly like
FUD that often gets thrown at it either, so I argue those points as well. It's
mostly functional. There are still seemingly better methods to get all of the
new functionality IMO, but I've yet to explore them.

AFAIK, none of this applies to systemd. Half of what is in /etc/systemd
probably belongs in /var or /lib. :-) FHS is a lost cause there. I'm arguing
this entirely for the SysV book. It just happened to be an issue in systemd
that brought to light an error that *I* missed many years ago.

>FYI /bin/sleep is used in killproc(), /bin/head is
>> used in pidofproc(), /bin/touch is used in the rc script to set
>> fastboot, and /bin/nice is used in start_daemon().
>
>See ny comments above.
>
>> That still doesn't fix the broken systemd test, but it works around
>it
>> in LFS because the SysV book needs touch to be where systemd happens
>> expect it to be.
>
>I'm not sure I agree agree.  If I greo the systemd sources for
>/bin/touch, the only places I see it is in man/systemd-run.xml and
>test/test-execute/exec-basic.service.  The later has a line:
>
>ExecStart=touch /tmp/a ; /bin/touch /tmp/b ; touch /tmp/c
>
>So if we just remove the /bin/ from that service file, it should be OK.
>

>> To be honest, though, I haven't built a
>
>> network mounted /usr in many years, or even NFS in some time for that
>
>> matter.
>
>You do raise an issue here about a network mounted /usr.  I have not
>tested that.  To be complete we would need to test that, but from a
>practical point of view, do we really need to do that?

No. We do not. It's just an attempt to be exceedingly exact that drives that
train of thought. However, that is the very reason that I argue that touch
should be added to the list. It's always been about teaching. To top it off,
it's a mistake on my part years ago that is driving this convo and my annoying
insistence. :-) It always should have been there and I missed it.

--DJ