Hi Ken

On 3/21/19 12:36 AM, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 04:14:50PM +0000, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:
On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 09:37:44PM +0000, Ken Moffat via blfs-dev wrote:

On that machine, build 3 built ok and generally worked - except that
attempting to watch youtube would start to render the initial
youtube page and then the tab would crash.  Attempting to reload the
tab would again crash.  I killed firefox, updated qt and
qtwebengine, then retried - same result.

I've now built the pulse version (I have pulse installed, my only
reason to try to use alsa was to test it) and on that youtube works
fine.  I conclude that using alsa instead of pulse with firefox-66
might be disappointing.

Built the alsa version on another machine, there youtube doesn't
crash.  No speakers on that box, so no idea if the sound is working
(on the first machine, with alsa, sound had worked on other sites).

So probably just some random problem on that one machine.

I then rebuilt 60 with alsa on the problematic machine, but while I
was doing that my PS/2 mouse decided it did not want to connect to
my KVM switch (it has always been a bit iffy) so I could not test.

I've now got another usb mouse, which I can swap between the (front)
usb ports of hte other machines at that desk.  But the awkward
machine only works with PS/2 : I've now plugged the mosuse in
directly, and that works.  But retrying youtube, it still crashes
before completing the render of the front page.  So, still no idea
if using alsa still works ;-)

I can tell you that on my Dell Latitude E5440, Firefox 66.0 with alsa works. Will check a couple of other laptops, but it may be that it really slows down the machine quite a bit. Not sure though if this is not some other issue I have. Just called youtube again, and my whole UI start to get all sluggish. Close youtube tab and it does not get much better, one cpu at constant 100 percent, with the browser not doing anything.

I think firefox 66.0 fucks up in general, performance-wise,will revert to 65.0.2.

ĸen