On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 at 14:52, Marty Jack via blfs-dev
<blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 08:14:15 -0500 John Burrell via blfs-dev wrote:
> > Configure fails with the message:
> >
> > Run-time dependency libdw found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
> >
> > ../meson.build:372:0: ERROR: Dependency "libdw" not found, tried
> > pkgconfig and cmake
> >
> > jb.
> > --
>
> I don't get that as an error.  I get that it is not found, but as a nonfatal
> condition.
> On a quick look it appears if you had libunwind installed there would be a
> more careful check for libdw.
> That library is a part of elfutils that LFS doesn't install.
> You could try -Dlibdw=disabled on the meson command.  You could try
> -Dlibunwind=disabled.
> You could also do a complete install of elfutils and you would then have
> libdw (the dw is for Dwarf, the debugging symbol format).
> --
Thanks for that. I do have libunwind installed. It turns out I was
using an older version of the development book. One that didn't have:

-Dbuildtype=release \
in the configure command,

and with this included it no longer stops, and doesn't seem to be
concerned about libdw. Strange that it's a run-time dependency in
development but not when in release, but I don't doubt that there is a
logical explanation.

jb.