On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 08:12:18AM +0800, Kevin Buckley via blfs-dev wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 00:26, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev
> <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> >
> > Currently we have /usr/bin/python -> python2.  Is it time to change that
> > to python3?
>
> Probably a bit too drastic a view, but should we even be propagating
> the need to have a bare python?
>
> I appreciate it can be a convenience when 2 and 3 co-exist but the
> price for that convenience across the version change has been high.
>
> My preference would be to not use the bare "python" anywhere, so
> that scripts have to be explicit about which major version they want.
> It will make things a lot easy when python4 comes along!
>
> As to the convenience link in /usr/bin, I'd look to remove it and tell
> people that they can alias the bare "python" if they really, really need
> to, but that they have to make the choice to do so: the system won't
> be doing it for them.

I was just about to ask the same question, based on Marty's
response.  For all modern and recently-updated packages in the book,
I assume that overrides can be used if they turn out to be necessary.

OTOH I've spent some time this year on the cat's cradle that is the
dependencies for (LTS) blender and discovered that the correct way
to force python3 (on a system where python was symlinked to python2)
*varies* across different packages, or at least across different
packages which use that horrible build system called cmake.

Fortunately, I don't think I'll be touching blender again in the
near future - I had some interest in looking at 3D modelling, but
I've concluded that there are too many problems with current
printers (supplies, fumes, required temperature, required UV light)
for me to be able to produce something which I could glue to
polystyrene (e.g. ABS using a filament printer).

ĸen
--
The people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them: I work
all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba.