On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 06:25:59AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev wrote:
> On 10/22/20 12:56 AM, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
> > On October 21, 2020 10:48:39 PM CDT, Bruce Dubbs via blfs-dev
> > <blfs-dev@lists.linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > > On 10/21/20 10:06 PM, DJ Lucas via blfs-dev wrote:
> > > >

> > > In LFS, we can make the symlink to p3.  For p2 in BLFS, we will use
> > > 'make altinstall'.  Everything else would be for non-python packages
> > > that either use p2 or create a p2 module.
> > >

> > Ok, I'll go back and fix it that way locally then. I'm not too far. I have
> > only like 8 packages that have py2 optional deps listed.
> >
> > So for BLFS, just do it and fix on the fly, or create a tracker bug and let
> > the devs run through it a time or two? I don't think it's going to be all
> > that big of a deal, but might be nice to avoid any interim breakage, do as
> > one big commit or a small series of commits to make it easier on people who
> > are upgrading.
>
> My thought is to fix it in LFS and python2 in BLFS and fix everything else
> as the issues come up.  It is a development release right now and we are
> early in the cycle.
>
>   -- Bruce

I still think that creating a symlink for python in LFS is a bad
idea (it will create unnecessary work).  On my current build I
removed /usr/bin/python and gimp found python2 without problems.
Compare Arch where I think htey made the python3 -> python2 symlink
years ago : they specify PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2 ./configure
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/gimp/trunk/PKGBUILD

Is there anything in the book which uses python3 and looks for python
but does not look for python3 ?

ĸen
--
The people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them: I work
all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba.