On 2/9/06, Richard A Downing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, for the record:
>
> chmod 644 /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5/components/myspell/*
>
> somehow this fixes it.  The perms were apparently screwed by installing
> the extension: spell-en-GB.xpi.

This makes sense to me.  If you don't have read permissions on the
dictionary (en-US.dic or whatever), then how could you properly use
the spell checker?

Through the mozdev site (http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/), I was able
to find the OpenOffice page that contains all the dictionaries in .zip
format.  I downloaded

http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/en_GB.zip

and inflated it.  It came out with 644 permissions.

I believe all the dictionaries on

http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/spell_dic.html

are the same ones used by the myspell component in Mozilla.

Richard, maybe you could download that zip and check if the en_GB.aff
and en_GB.dic files are the same as those from the .xpi.  If so, maybe
it would be as easy as inflating the zip files into the appropriate
directory during the build to have all the dictionaries you want in
the global directory.

--
Dan