Kevin:

Good your sudo works now. To bad we don't know why.

My /etc/sysconfig/console looks like this

KEYMAP="us"
FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"

Did you review the section in the lfs book about configuring the linux console?

Ok, here are some ideas for d-bus/hal debugging.

D-Bus requires 2 sessions. First, a system session. Second, a user session. The system session is started at boot time. The user session is started either when you login or when you startx.

If you use a login manager, then you need to start the d-bus user session in /etc/profile. google for dbus-launch to learn how to set this up. I believe there is a dbus hint that will explain this.

If you don't use a login manager, the easiest way to start the user session is to wrap dbus around your desktop session. Modify ~/.xinitrc as follows:
dbus-launch startkde --exit-with-session

To ensure things are well with dbus, enter 'dbus-launch' at a console. Two values should be returned.

To help diagnose possible hal problems, you can add two options to the loadproc command in /etc/rc.d/init.d/haldaemon:
--verbose=yes --use-syslog

Then restart hald.

In your syslog you should see many, many messages about hal discovering devices. If you don't see any messages after doing this, then you don't have hal running correctly. Put a cd in your cd drive and hald will show this event in the syslog.

One other idea, do you notice any dbus/hal problems running as root?

Shawn