On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 20:28 -0600, al...@verizon.net wrote:
> If no mistakes on my part on this subject,
> this will cause errors for some packages
> looking in the wrong place.
>
> Is this a trend?

It's not a mistake on your part - it just seems to be that a small
number of packages install their .pc files to /usr/share instead.

Looking at what they are, I suspect the common factor is that they're
not libraries. Most pkgconfig files are there to provide info on how to
compile and link against libraries, but most of the examples I can see
in /usr/share are data - databases for MIME types, for ISO codes, or USB
device ids. Arguably xtrans too, since that package contains only
headers, no binary content.

If this is a standard though, it doesn't seem to be clearly documented
anywhere.

Simon.