On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 14:00 -0600, al...@verizon.net wrote:
> The Udev developers, in their relentless quest for perfection
> decided to join the crowd with their own pc file in 149.

Interesting... I'd not noticed that one (it's present as early as 146,
btw). Going by the contents of /lib/udev, I guess that file is used by
packages like DeviceKit-disks, NetworkManager, libgphoto, etc to work
out where to install udev rules and helpers.

It's a rather confused directory, actually - full of binaries like you'd
expect for something under /lib, but also containing udev rules, keymap
files, and template device nodes. I guess there's nowhere else to put
them if you can't rely on /usr being present at boot... no equivalent
of /usr/share...

Simon.