> On 03/13/12 at 5:16 AM, Simon Geard wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 19:42 Alex wrote:
>> IMHO, I think the existence of "&&" at the end of the first line of the
>> here-document,
>> cat > .config << "HERE_DOC" &&
>> is not desired.

> Can you elaborate? It looks fine to me... what problem do you see?

Hi Simon,

Simply as a convenience and a safeguard against errors, I figured.
Normally, on 99% of situations, you have something like,
./configure &&
make

In this particular situation you have
cat > .config << "HERE_DOC" &&
Two pages of "text", then
# Uncomment the next line if you've installed libpcap and libdnet:
# CONFIG_L2_PACKET=pcap
HERE_DOC
make

so I humbly thought that separating the two commands,
the '.config' creation from the 'make', might help
slow people (if any) like me cope with this somewhat more
complicated situation.
It was just a thought, not intended to be earth shattering.
Obviously, a survived the ordeal unscathed :)
So I agree, it looks fine, no problem.

_As an aside_, I noticed there are many script aficionados
among (B)LFS users and I suppose the "&&" concept in the
book instructions helps them a lot.
(command1 &&
command2 &&
...)
I am one of (or maybe unique among) the people what like to take
their time between commands (and append "; echo $?" at the end).
Different folks, different strokes.

Thank you for your interest,
-- Alex