On 07/17/2012 09:42 PM, Maginot Junior wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM, John Burrell <john_burr...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> From: maginot.jun...@gmail.com
>>> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:00:56 -0300
>>> To: blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
>>> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] more on trying to get the drm nouveau kernel
>>> module loaded
>>>
>>> did you update your init ram disk?
>>
>> I didn't set aside a partition for a ramdisk so there is no ramdisk mounted.
>>
>> jb.
>>
>> --
>
> I don't think you can use KMS without a initrd (this is not a
> partition, but just a initrd file, UBuntu uses one and you can easily
> edit it)
> check the boot option to see what inirt it's using

Yay, you missed the world. This is LFS, it does not use initrd ...

And blacklisting nouveau does not disable KMS, it just disables the
driver from loading automatically by udev. That way you can boot using
VESA. Nouveau gets loaded when: Xorg Server starts or you modprobe it
manually. In either way, KMS will be enabled.

Have you ever tried using nouveau with Ubuntu? Did it have same behaviour?