> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:14:36 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sirsendu Roy <xai...@yahoo.com>
> To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: [blfs-support] kde Konsole starts but the home prompt does not
>       appear, only show black screen
>
> Hi,
> I forget to write another problem :
> After having the solved the problem of KDE, when I logged in the desktop, I
> have lost all my configuration as I have renamed my .kde directory as a part
> of the debug process. But now when I start the kde terminal emulation program
> Konsole, Konsole starts but the home prompt does not appear, it only show a
> black screen, no cursor , no input.
>
> I have already updates the kde mime cache.
> Regards,
> Roy

If the problem was the permissions on /dev/null (per your other email today in
the can't-start-kde thread), then you might want to backup your current
~/.kde4,
and then move your old ~/.kde4 directory back into place, and see if kde still
starts ok, and looks ok, and settings look ok, etc: and if all looks ok, then
just go with that. That's what I'd do at this stage. Was konsole ok before,
when
you were running kde4, before the "can't-start-kde" issue?

akh