> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sirsendu Roy <xai...@yahoo.com>
> To: BLFS Support List <blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Kde cannot start !!!!! solved !!!!!
>
> Hi akhzier,
> Thanks for the reply. At last I have my KDE login again.
> The problem was:
> 1. Now I boot when when udev starts and populates /dev node, the /dev/null
> cannot get the permission that requires, i.e. 666, no idea suddenlz why it
> happens !!!!!
> 2. suddenly /usr/X11/bin/Xorg losts its sticky bit. I reverted the change.
>
> Now in my ~/bashrc  file I needed to add :
> sudo chmod 666 /dev/null.

It's probably prudent to fix that /dev/null issue system-wide, rather than just
via one of your login environments. You _could_ put the chmod command into a
system startup file under /etc/rc* : but in your case it's probably less hacky
if you try to correct it via udev.

I don't use udev (& instead just use static device files), so the following may
be better addressed by someone on-list who does use it.

For the command:
  grep -r null  /etc/udev  /lib/udev/[a-ce-z]*
, do you get any lines like:

/lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules:KERNEL=="null|zero|full|random|urandom",
 MODE="0666"
or:
  /etc/udev/rules.d/40-fix-permissions-rules:SUBSYSTEM=="mem",
KERNEL=="null|zero|full|random|urandom", MODE="0666"
? If not, then you might want to create something like
'/etc/udev/rules.d/40-fix-permissions-rules' ( 0644 root root ) with the
contents
as shown in the above example grep output.

You also might want to double-check the permissions &c on
/dev/{zero,full,random,urandom} too (ref. the lists in the above example grep
output).

As for the X11 stuff: not sure what's caused that - would need to know more
about what you've been installing/configuring/&c. It can be useful to profile
the sytem before and after making changes (e.g. installing software), to help
see what's actually being change don the system. Even a crude 'ls -latrRF /' or
'find / -ls' pre-/post-, saved to logfiles and diffed, can be useful; and you
can refine it from there.

> As per the HP printer problem is concerned, I have tried almost every
> combination, but somehow it didn't work.
> SO I would like start from the beginning unstalling everything.
> Can you please tell me the order in which I will install the required module
> and and configure everything.

Will break that printing stuff out into a separate thread.

akh