On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:55:09AM +0000, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is probably not the right list to report this, I realize that.
> According to http://osdir.com/ml/plasma-devel/2014-01/msg00208.html and
> http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kde-workspace.git&a=commit&h=8577abf894a661bc0700adc72513dacf0b7dca7f,
> KDM is being retired. This is the only Display Manager that I know of that
> BLFS Supports that I can use multiple desktop environments with. Is there
> any way that SDDM or LightDM could be added to the book, or possibly
> another replacement? I use KDM on my BLFS box and when I update to KDE5, I
> expect that it will no longer work and that future builds of BLFS will not
> contain it. What display manager does the list recommend I use? I do not
> like logging in from the command line, and it is very hard to teach family
> members who use my computer occasionally how to do so.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Douglas Reno

 I dare say that whoever is editing kdm will come up with something
when the time comes.  Personally, I hate DMs : I did use gdm for a
while, until a change in it prevented me from seeing _where_ my
altered bootscripts were failing to shut down, and I tried what I
think was lightdm, but didn't like it (e.g. unreadably small font).

 Do you or your users regularly change desktop environments ?  If
not, what about a variant of what our late colleague Andy used to
use, second post in the thread at:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.beyond.support/41986

 More specifically, do you have some strange app that only works
(for your use case) in its own DE ?  My belief is that everything
will work in other DEs, and that the menu system ought to make
non-native apps possible to find.  For most users of BLFS, the
problem is building all the dependencies, but you must have already
done that to have multiple DEs which you can switch between.

 But I suspect that I don't understand your problem - I have no
problem with using startx - occasionally, on a test box, I hack my
.xinitrc to allow me to specify _which_ wm to use, more often I just
comment out my normal wm and uncomment the one I want to briefly
test.  Similarly, the shiny! shiny! fat! slow! nature of kde makes it
something I prefer to avoid unless I'm testing that part of thebook
;-)

ĸen