> From: Magnus Larsson <k.magnus.lars...@tele2.se>
> To: blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:00:34 +0100
> Subject: [blfs-support] Problem with Swedish umlauts in mailx/postfix
>
> Hello blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org
>
> I have installed Postfix 2.11.0 and mailx-12.4.
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/server/postfix.html
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/basicnet/mailx.html
>
> Problem: I can not send email using mailx (mail) if I have Swedish umlauts
> (åäö etc) in
> the message body. Mailx fails after I press ctrl-D to send.
>
> magnus@lfs ~> mail magnus

Just to be on safe side for debugging, invoke the program as 'mailx'
instead of 'mail'. Sometimes programs behave differently when invoked via
different names. I don't recall such issues with mail->mailx: but to be
on safe side for debugging, use 'mailx'  .

Also, do you get the same result if you just run 'mailx' - i.e. not
'mailx magnus' - at the bash shell prompt, and then when inside mailx,
at the mailx prompt, you do 'm magnus' (without the quotes), and send the
test message(s) that way?

> Subject: test1
> åäö
> EOT
> Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
> "/home/magnus/dead.letter" 1/4
> . . . message not sent.
> magnus@lfs ~>

Do 'set verbose' & 'set sendwait' either at prompt in mailx, or in
'~/.mailrc', to see more detail of the attempted-sending process.

> Everything is fine if I skip umlauts.
>
> magnus@lfs ~> mail magnus
> Subject: test
> This is a test.
> EOT
> magnus@lfs ~> mail
> Heirloom mailx version 12.4 7/29/08.  Type ? for help.
> "/var/mail/magnus": 1 message 1 new
> >N  1 mag...@mail.lfs.lo Sun Feb 23 13:41   18/574   test
> ?
> Message  1:
> From mag...@mail.lfs.local  Sun Feb 23 13:41:26 2014
> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:41:26 +0100
> To: mag...@mail.lfs.local
> Subject: test
> From: mag...@mail.lfs.local
>
> This is a test.
>
> ?
> At EOF
>
> I have tried to modify /etc/nail.rc, ~/.mailrc and ~/.nailrc and add:
> set ttycharset=utf-8, but it does not help.

When you are in mailx, and do 'set' at the prompt , what does it show for the
'sendcharsets' & 'ttycharset' variables; and does it show 'print-all-chars'
present in the output?

> I have also tried export LC_CTYPE=sv_SE.UTF-8 in bash shell, and other
> variants,
> but no change.
>
> I have noticed the "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii" in the
> non-umlaut test.
> However I can not change it.
>
> The rest of the LFS/BLFS system I have handle umlauts well, i.e. Bash shell,
> vim,
> KDE Konsole, Kmail, Kate etc.
>
> How to configure mailx and postfix to handle umlauts?

Only really use sendmail here, & not postfix, 'fraid; but do use mailx.

(( What you describe sounds similar to an an old issue - mostly affecting
attachments and non-interactive mode - that was fixed in version 12.4
(which is what is in blfs-7.4 and is what you have):
----
Bug Report:
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.nail.devel/1289

Ref the two attributions to 'Hilko Bengen' in the Changelog, at:
 http://nail.cvs.sourceforge.net/nail/nail/ChangeLog?view=markup
----
According to that, it should try '"application/octet-stream" content type
instead', for the situations described.
))

rgds,
akh