Hi guys,

I can't boot BLFS 7.4 system (Intel Atom 32-bit) from USB stick on
some motherboards, but I  can do it on the same motherboard type with
different (old) BIOS version.
I've read BIOS release notes and found nothing relevant to the problem
neither seen anything significantly different in BIOS menu.

grub.cfg is simple:
set default=0
set timeout=3
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)
menuentry "Default" {
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.28
root=UUID=d768c1f0-79c9-45c4-b604-8d0735a71242 rootfstype=ext4 ro
rootdelay=6
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.10.28
}

On the failed system grub is capable to show boot menu, but while
selecting it, it fails with message:
error: failure reading sector 0x57f650 from 'hd0'.

if I drop to grub command prompt from boot menu (without initially
selecting entry), and do some commands:
grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
grub> insmod ext2
grub> ls (hd0,1)/boot
error: failure reading sector 0x802 from 'hd0'
grub> ls
                     # now ls output is empty line
grub> date
error: no such partition.
grub>

- If I connect the same USB stick to the motherboard with old BIOS, it boots ok.
- I can boot from SATA HDD with exactly the same root fs as USB stick
(I've copied root partition with cpio and updated UUID value in grub
and fstab).
- I can boot from USB stick only if it has FAT32, for example MSDOS
boot disk or Ubuntu install disk made by Universal-USB-Installer.exe.

I wonder, what else do I need to check in order to get to the bottom
of this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Alexey