On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Richard Melville
<richard.melvill...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What worked for me in the end is the following: I don't use a initrd and I
> partition the flash drive with GPT, format with ext2, and boot to an ext4
> partition on an mSATA SSD.  I use Syslinux rather than Grub2 as it's lighter
> and it's much easier (IMO) to set up.  If it's of any help here is my
> extlinux.conf:-
>
> /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
>    PROMPT 1
>    TIMEOUT 50
>    DEFAULT xxx
>    LABEL xxx
>             LINUX /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.8-toi
>             APPEND root=PARTUUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx \
>                           vga=792 acpi_osi=linux acpi_backlight=legacy
> hest_disable \
>                           iommu=soft rootfstype=ext4 rootdelay=1

Hi Richard,

After struggling with grub, I've decided to try syslinux-6.02 with
setup similar to yours:
booting from usb stick with 512MB ext2 partition and ext4 root FS on
another USB stick.

I've got kernel panic - VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
(0,0). Some forums suggests initramfs.
I think you could skip initramfs only if you're using SATA disks. I've
added initramfs in syslinux config, but it was unable to find a device
containing root fs and dropped to a shell...

I wonder, since you have a working setup could you try to boot your
box with root FS on USB stick?

Regards,
Alexey